Saturday, December 17, 2005

The power of punctuation.

I just finished 'Eats, Shoots & Leaves' by Lynne Truss.

It's a very good read, and pretty much definitive on punctuation; the purpose of which, according to a Thomas McCormack, is 'to tango the reader into the pauses, inflexions, continuities and connections' of the spoken word.

I thought this an interesting point:

In translating the Bible from the Hebrew, which had no punctuation, arguments arise over how some passages, like this (Luke, xxiii, 43), should be interpreted:
Protestant interpretation of passage:
"Verily, I say unto thee, This day thou shalt be with me in Paradise."

Catholic interpretation of passage:
"Verily I say unto thee this day. Thou shalt be with me in Paradise."
A couple of other amusements:
"What is this thing called, love?"
"He shot himself as a child." (...shot, himself, as...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home